Commonweal Retreat Center
Commonweal is a nonprofit center for service and research in health and human ecology located on a beautiful 60-acre site at the edge of the Pacific Ocean in the Point Reyes National Seashore. Our three guest houses are available, when not in use for Commonweal programs, to small groups and individuals for conferences, workshops, meditation and yoga retreats, family gatherings, as well as individual retreats, and similar uses which are compatible with Commonweal’s nonprofit purpose.
|Pacific House, beautiful and historic, sits on a bluff overlooking the Pacific. The house is comfortably furnished and electrically heated throughout.
|Bothin House is situated in a secluded grove of Monterey pine and cypress trees.
|Kohler House sits in an open setting with partial views of the ocean.
Guests at Commonweal should prepare for dramatic changes of weather at almost any time of year. The winter may bring frequent rain, and this coastal site is often windy. We suggest warm, layered clothing and good walking shoes so you can enjoy the extraordinary resources of the Point Reyes National Seashore.
This is a place for people who enjoy the isolation and accept the occasional inconveniences of a rural retreat center.
- Commonweal is situated on 60 acres in the Point Reyes National Seashore
- Beach access
- Sauna is available for guests
- Walking trails
Photos by Philip Buchanan
The Retreat Center at Commonweal Requires a Two-Night Minimum Stay at All Three Houses
- Weekends consist of Friday and Saturday nights or Saturday and Sunday nights; a week consists of 6 nights.
- A NON-REFUNDABLE deposit is required at the time the reservation is made, in the amount of the single-night rate for the number in your group, or $500 if you do not know the number in your group.
- Your reservation is not confirmed until your deposit is received. If we do not receive your deposit check within 10 working days, we will not be able to hold your reservation.
- Visa, Mastercard, business or personal checks are accepted.
- Check-out time is 12:00 noon. Check-in time is 3:00 p.m., unless other arrangements are made.
- If a late check-out is requested, it may be extended until not later than 5:00 p.m., if it does not conflict with the cleaning schedule.
- All Commonweal guest houses are available for day-long retreats during the week.
For additional information and reservation schedules, please email or call Jenepher Stowell, Retreat Center Director, 415-868-0970 (voice mail extension 315).
2011 – 2014 Rates:
Pacific House: Two night minimum – up to 12 people
Bothin House: Two night minimum – up to 4 people
Kohler House: Two night minimum – up to 6 people
We regret that, despite our love of animals, pets are not allowed at the Retreat Center.
Directions to Commonweal
Commonweal is located in Bolinas, California at
451 Mesa Road, Bolinas, CA 94924.
- Download a map with driving directions from San Francisco, East Bay, and San Rafael
- Click here for driving directions from Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and Vallejo